About Me

My photo
I am a wife to a wonderful husband, a mom to two beautiful boys. I have two stubborn, needy dogs. I don't have many hobbies. Im currently unemployed but so happy to be a SAHM. I'm thankful everyday for all that God has provided and all that He has blessed me with.

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

March of Dimes


Today the March of Dimes held a breakfast for all of the local supporters and families. I was asked to be a part of a group of families volunteering to share their preemie story. I didn't even hesitate to say yes. I don't know why I didn't hesitate. Most thought I was brave to be sharing my story so soon. All I could think of was how I was excited to share my story. Ever since Urijah's passing, all I've wanted to do is help other families in need. I wanted to let them know they weren't alone.  Even though Steve and I had support, we still felt very much alone because not many people could relate to having a baby in the NICU and if they had one it was only for a few days. I would take a few days in the NICU over 5 weeks.
Steve and I invited my family and his mom to the breakfast. It was nice to have familiar support. We arrived bright and early and sat at the family table. I wasn't really nervous because I knew other people were going to speak. A few moment later I was informed that I was the only parent that showed to share their story. I immediately got butterflies. Not only was I speaking to a room full of professionals I didn't know but I was going to be alone and to top it off they wanted me to start at the back of the room holding a mic and walk my way up to the front of the room while I spoke.  All eyes on me.
Uhhhhhh, you're kidding, right?
Steve, sensing my distress and being the amazing husband that he is, asked if I wanted him to walk with me. I nodded my head yes and he stood with me at the back of the room, all eyes on us. I managed to start slow and steady, hands were shaking some but I was maintaining composure. When it came to Urijah being born and then passing, I was in tears and had several of the audience members crying as well. I managed to get through the entire speech with Steve by my side. It was a bit of an out of body experience.
 I had a few ladies come to me after and give me a hug. Steve and I were also given a gift by the organization for allowing them to share my story. I am so happy I did. What an awesome way to honor out beautiful son. I plan on being a huge support to the organization and will be forming a team to raise money for the March of Dimes. So I may be looking for you in the spring. :)

2 comments:

  1. You are an amazing woman and mother, Selina. I am so proud that you are sharing your gift with others an providing the support you wish you had had. Glad you seem to have such an amazing support system in Steve. I'm sure it makes all the difference. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and love you too. You have been a huge support for me, even from far away. I appreciate you more than you know.

      Delete